Residential Care Placement
Terms of referring:
Urgent short term placement in a residential care facility (rest home, private hospital or dementia) may be funded by POAC to avoid an acute hospital referral or to assist in discharging the patient from hospital. POAC may also be used as an interim measure, pending permanent care arrangements or assessments.
Referrals after 2pm daily may need to be deferred to the next business day. Weekend referrals must be pre-arranged during business hours, OR can be arranged directly with the facility if over a weekend. The details of the accepting facility can be documented on the referral form.
If referring over the weekend, POAC will pre-approve these days of funding and will review the ongoing funding arrangements on the next business day.
1. All medication and signed prescriptions must be provided prior to patient transferring to facility
2. COVID-19 - Aged care provider screening form to be completed
Ministry of Health Guidelines require completion of a Covid-19 screening form prior to any proposed transfer or new admission to an Aged Residential Care (ARC) facilitiy. This form can either attached to the POAC referral form, or emailed to POAC email@example.com.
3. If referral is not being made by the patient's own GP, the referrer must contact the GP practice to discuss and arrange ongoing clinical responsibility, prior to referring
Home Based Supports
Home Based Support (3-5 days)
Short term assistance with personal cares, medication prompting or meal preparation. This is a short term service providing care through acute illness, emergency social situations or bridging a gap between funding streams or alternative services being available. Call us if extended care required.
- POAC does NOT fund shopping or house cleaning activity.
- Post operative support requests should be sent to local NASC service
Home Based IV Therapy
Short term use of IV antibiotics at home (usually 1-3 days) can be funded under POAC, with approval based on individual patient need. If longer than this is required, call the Infectious Disease team to discuss. Please review the checklist and ensure all requirements are met.
Zoledronate (Aclasta) infusion subsidy is available for CMDHB patients meeting strict criteria. Automatic approval is provided upon application below.