PAEDIATRIC RADIOLOGY (0-15 year olds)
POAC funded radiology is available for paediatrics (0-15 year olds) where required acutely to avoid same day admission.
Refer Auckland Regional HealthPathways or discuss any other cases with on-call paediatric service:
Starship Children's Hospital: 021 927 680
Kidz First (MMH): 021 516 908 or (09) 250 3820
North Shore and Waitakere: 0800 244 533
ADULT ULTRASOUND AND CT
Phone (09) 535 7218 to request CT or Ultrasound appointments which will be facilitated by POAC coordination team.
The following are standard presentations eligible for POAC. Other services may be available, please call to discuss.
- DVT Doppler Ultrasound (refer DVT pathway)
- Upper Abdominal Ultrasound (refer Gallstones pathway)
- Testicular Ultrasound (urgent/same day and endorsed by Urology Consultant)
- CT KUB or Renal Ultrasound (refer Renal Colic Pathway)
- Soft Tissue Ultrasound
- Pelvic Ultrasound (if required acutely within 24-48 hrs and this will change immediate management). See policy
POAC funding may be used for patients who are a distance from the hospital grounds (or other barrier to access) and need an urgent, same day X-ray to assist in clinical management and avoid an acute hospital presentation.
Under these circumstances, POAC will provide funding for the following acute (same day) X-Rays:
- Chest Xray - refer CAP pathway
- Abdominal Xray
- ACC surcharges for St John referred injury patients
- Foreign Body
Consider using DHB walk in service for plain x-rays. Refer here for referral details
DHB RADIOLOGY CONTACT
Seek radiology advice about the appropriate imaging to help:
- manage the patient.
- clarify the interpretation of prior imaging.
- avoid unnecessary specialist appointment or emergency department referral.
Contact phone numbers:
Auckland 027 491 9589 or (09) 307 2800
Counties Manukau (09) 276‑0044 ext. 58766
Waitemata 021 874 664 or (09) 486 8920 ext 42771
Injury related investigations should be accessed through the ACC funding stream. POAC may assist by facilitating acutely required DVT ultrasound appointments however should remain ACC funded.
All pregnancy related ultrasounds should be referred under maternity funding. POAC funding is available where >3 weeks post partum/termination or >6 weeks post partum.
Urgent or routine investigations are not funded under POAC and can be accessed by eReferral to DHB, Access to Diagnostics or private funding/insurance.